RUT G Hauer
A simple and reliable design, developed to conform with the rigid specifications the Rim marshall’s office and Colonial police forces. A panel of seasoned officials and veterans specified that their new universal service issue sidearm was to adhere to the following requirements, but not limited to them:
• No more than 20 malfunctions are permitted during the first 10,000 rounds fired, not even minor jams that can be cleared without the use of any tools.
• The weapon must be absolutely secure against accidental discharge from shock, stroke and drops from a height of 2 meters onto a steel plate.
• Maintenance and cleaning of the pistol must be accomplished without
the use of tools.
• Construction may not exceed 40 individual parts (modular electronics counts as a single part)
• The weapon must be in usable condition after 2 months of neglect in arid, damp, frozen and/or non-atmosphere situations.
The look and feel of the gun reflects to olden days of the gunslingers with revolvers, witch most likely influenced the choice to pick it for police use, but the similarities end there. It houses within its neoaluminium body a wireless communication with any specialized equipment as standard. The Hauer was modified several times throughout its production history of some 93 years. An laser targeting aid, and bullet identification system was incorporated during the evolution of the gun to be integrated as standard.
A specialized version that could fire regular bullets as well as being able to cycle in to the barrel bean-bag ammunition was hurriedly put in to production, but was not popular due to confusion of what type of bullet, lethal or beanbag, was fired at any one time. That version was discontinued after a series of misfires resulting in injuries and deaths during the outer rim food riots.
The regular version was a mainstay of the police force and mostly praised for its incredible durability and ability to withstand abuse by the often poorly trained outer planets police and militia forces. The Hauer is still highly valued as a scavenging find for those who feel inclined, or foolhardy enough to venture to desolated colonies. Due to its capability to withstand serious punishment, outright neglect and the vast amount of ammunition found, and the ease of manufacturing new ammunition, the gun remains in use decades after it’s manufacturing has seized.